Thursday, April 30, 2009

Avocado Sandwich / Grilled Cheese with Apple



























This is the story of my giant loaf of bread. I have a fantastic loaf of whole wheat peasant bread from my local farmers market. I've eaten it fresh with butter, toasted with butter and honey, butter and jam, and butter and Marmite, (I think someone needs to take the butter away from me) and I still have half a loaf left. It's been unseasonably warm, so soup dunking is out. I rummaged around in my fridge, took an inventory of ingredients, and settled on a sandwich.

I wanted to make a sandwich that would highlight the wheaty flavor and chewy texture of my rustic loaf. (Too often whole wheat bread is just swapped with white, no consideration for the fact that they taste different.) You'll notice this casual lunch option is vegetarian, which just goes to show how easy it is to make a sandwich: meat, veggie or other, if you abandon the limiting concept that a sandwich is made with cold cuts, lettuce, tomato and mayo. There are really unlimited other ways to make a meal out of "stuff between bread."

One quick option that most vegetarians know is the avocado sandwich. It's hard to go wrong with an avocado, there are so many ways to prepare this savory fatty fruit. One common mistake is parring avocado with strong flavored ingredients like sharp cheddar cheese, if its really going to shine, you don't want to smother its subtle fresh green flavor. So if in doubt, keep it simple. While I've made much more complicated sandwiches with avocado, this is the bare bones version. Just a perfectly ripe avocado liberally seasoned with salt and fresh ground black pepper, some spicy mayo (mayonaise and Sriracha hot sauce) and sprouts on whole wheat bread. (If it hadn't been nearly 90 degrees, I would have substituted a fried over easy egg for half of the avocado, which is one of my favorite sandwich combinations.) A perfect balance of subtle flavors and textures: rich salty avocado, sweet spicy mayo, crunchy refreshing sprouts all on my nutty, sweet, chewy, soft wheat bread. It was gigantic, but I ate the whole thing and I felt great afterwords, no food coma, and energy all day. This satisfying sandwich is not low in fat, but its really good for you.

The next day the weather turned, my peasant loaf was yet to be finished, and a grilled cheese seemed like a no-brainer. Extra sharp cheddar has no problem standing up to my wheaty friend, but it needed something to lighten it up. I love the combo of apples and cheddar, and all I needed was a little tang to bring it all together. I made a quick relish of apples, cornichon pickles and raisins. The vinegary sweet filling went great with the cheese, almost like a raw chutney. It may seem like a wacky combo, but if you think about it; apples and cheese is a classic, and you often get cornichons, dried fruit and crusty bread with a cheese plate, put it all together and you get a gooey, crusty, salty, sweet sandwich. (If your not into the "chutney" idea you could easily make this sandwich with just cheddar and apple, maybe a little mustard.) Now, I better devise a fate for the remainder of my loaf; I'm thinking croutons. I know, not very glamorous, but I have a head of green leaf lettuce that is begging for some croutons and rich creamy dressing, mmmm...I'll keep you posted.


























Apple Relish:

3 small apples, cored and diced
4-6 cornichons, chopped
2-3 pickled onions, minced
1 1/2 Tbsp, chopped raisins

Combing ingredients and let sit at room temp for at least 10 minutes for flavors to marry. (Don't worry, the vinegar keeps the apples crisp and white)



4 comments:

  1. There's not much that won't go with cheese. Just depends on what flava'. Anyway, trying to figure out what to do with that LARGE loaf of bread??? I'm always downstairs and don't often turn down a free meal. Especially from one of my favorite cooks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, speaking of favorite cooks, this sandwich was inspired by the one you made me a few weekends ago. As to that Large Loaf; I'm cooking up some croutons, chickpeas and hard boiled eggs for a chef salad for lunch tomorrow if your interested?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta subscribe to the comments. I missed a free meal! But the "chickpea rice-a-roni" was deelish. I should start a companion blog where I just post pictures of me eating your yummy food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would devote a blog to her baked beans alone.

    ReplyDelete