Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Fort Greene Farmers Market

















































The first really warm day of the year: 70 degrees! and my first time back at the my local Farmers Market! There are few things I like better then perusing the stalls of a good farmers market on a sunny day; nothing else to do but dig through bins of veggies, taste some farm fresh cheese, smell seasonal fruits and talk to farmers about the formative days of my cherished new acquisitions.

My Mom and I had so much fun basking in the sun eating our breakfast of apple cider donuts, talking with friends we bumped into, and buying much more then we needed. Some standouts included: insanely good, sweet Italian Sausage from Wilklow farms. I believe my Mom said "this is the best meat I have ever had", I'm not kidding. It was the first time I had purchased meat from them, and it was amazing. The other star of our market binge, was one of my all time favorites: a jar of strawberry jam from Red Jacket Orchards. I love the people who work at this stall, they're so nice, they always tell me which apples are the crunchiest, they have fantastic fresh cherry juice (which they were sadly out of this Saturday), and the best jams, my favorite being the Strawberry; it's out of this world. We made grilled cheese with bread and cheese from the market and slathered it with this fresh, intensely fruity, mildly sweet jam. At that moment I couldn't think of a better food to be eating. But the best value of our trip was actually the little patch of perky, vividly green wheatgrass we took home for a paltry three dollars, which has been brightening our spirits and keeping me sane until the arrival of the first bright green buds of spring.









































































































































































































































































































Farmers Markets are a great way to do your part; help make this world a better place to live; Find one near you, and support your local Farmers!









































































































No comments:

Post a Comment