Thursday, March 12, 2009

Fort Greene Farmers Market # 2



















It's spring! (even though it doesn't feel like it yet). I've been very busy since returning to Brooklyn a few weeks ago, but not to busy to stop and smell the roses, well actually; pussy willows, crocuses, and tulips, some of the harbingers of spring in in my neighborhood. I know its some time before spring veggies hit the farm stands, but by the time they do, the anticipation will make them all the more appreciated. Meanwhile, I'm making the most of stored veggies: onions, potatoes, carrots, cabbages and beets, as well as apples, and green house gems like baby greens, herbs, and cut flowers. This is a great time of year to explore the farmers markets "other" offerings, those that often get overlooked during the height of summer and early fall, when you are inundated in more types of gorgeous fruits and vegetables then you can even eat in a week. (Its best under those circumstances to just go for the gold and eat as much seasonal produce as you can before it is gone.) Now the pickings are slimmer, but sometimes limits can be liberating. Now is the time to try the different cheeses, meats, fish and eggs; jams, jellies and juices; fresh bread, pies muffins and cookies, not to mention mushrooms my very favorite year round "veggie". I'm looking forward to ramps, fiddleheads, asparagus and rhubarb, but until then, I'm enjoying the ingenuity of my local farmers. This weeks favorite: a cheddar cheese and mushroom loaf, that was moist and eggy, while being light as air. I sliced it thick and toasted it before spreading with butter, mmmmm, I know I said I wanted to try different things, but I might have to just buy this one again next week.





















































































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment