Sunday, February 15, 2009

The sunny side of Christmas

I am aware that it is well past Christmas, and most people only want to think of spring flowers and melting snow, but I was packing up my things to return home to Brooklyn from visiting my family in Wisconsin, and I just had to document my serious hall. I am really lucky to have a family full of foodies.



















I have read both books, "In Defense of Food", by Michael Pollan, and "Happy in the Kitchen", by Michel Richards. I really like them both. Michael Pollan is one of my favorite authors, not so much for is writing style, which is good, but because he is writing insightfully on the most important topics surrounding food and culture today. And "Happy in the Kitchen", is one of my favorite cookbooks I have ever read. It is beautiful and inspiring. I'll try and give a full review of both in the near future.



















My brothers girlfriend actually made the cutting board for me. I love it! it will make a really great cheeseboard for a party. Or I could cut multiple loaves of bread or fritatas or.... well the possibilities are endless, it's such a great shape, and size, and its good looks make it a natural for serving.

What do you think, out of all the objects here, I would want to use first............?

You've guessed it, this sunny yellow beaut.

























If you don't already know, this is the prettiest citrus juicer you've ever seen. Just looking at it makes me think of lemonade and margaritas. Ah, spring will be here soon...... I can make it..I can make it..
























I've used this style of juicer before, and it works great. What is best about it(other then how pretty it is), is its ease of use, pop in a halved citrus(cut side down), and squeeze, no seeds, no sticky hands, and you can just keep cooking. It also does a good job of getting a lot of juice from your fruit, just remember to tip it to get all the juice from the inside, before you dump out your rind. (If your trying to make a nice pulpy orange juice to go with your breakfast, I would recommend a reamer style, as this type(often called a squeezer or press) smashes the fruit, leaving it relatively intact.)

I love finding kitchen tools at stoop sales or flea markets, but I hate to say, you would probably have to buy this new. In the past they were mostly made from aluminum, which is not really a good idea with acidic foods. Plus the new enameled ones come in some gorgeous colors.

I just have to make something using this before I pack it up, and, I realize, not everybody is such a geek about cooking paraphernalia, so I will follow this post with a recipe. I can't really muster the right enthusiasm for such unabashedly summery drinks as lemonade or margaritas. But I think a nice alternative would be Red Wine Sangria, like a warm-up for the warm up to come.

Ahh.... I can feel the sunny warmth and spring breezes already.

No comments:

Post a Comment